ARTHUR LAVIGNE SCHOLARSHIP 2020
The total value of the fund is$1,000 to be paid directly to the student while attending the school of their choice in two (2) equal installments - $500 upon entering school and the remaining $500 at the start of the second semester.
Each Post and each Unit is entitled to submit an application to the County Scholarship Committee.
Each application must have (1) a cover Letter of Recommendation on Post or Unit letterhead and endorsed by the Post Commander, Adjutant, Unit President or Unit Secretary; (2) verification of current membership of the family member through which the applicant is eligible for the scholarship.
1. The applicant must be the natural or adopted descendant of an Ocean County Legionnaire or Auxiliary member who has paid their current dues.
2. An application must be completed and forwarded to the Scholarship Committee by the regular March Ocean County Executive meeting of the application year.
3. The winner of the scholarship will be notified by the Scholarship Committee prior to and presented their award at the Ocean County Convention on the first Saturday of May.
4. In the event the student fails to enter school or leaves school prior to the start of the second semester, no monies will be allocated from the scholarship fund.
5. The Post and Unit will select their entries and ensure the application is submitted to the County Scholarship Committee containing the following:
a) Completed application.
b) Post and/or Unit Letter of Recommendation, properly signed.
c) Photocopy of the current Legion or Auxiliary sponsor’s membership card.
d) Transcript or photocopy of grades and school official class ranking.
e) Two (2) letters of recommendation: One(1) from principal or guidance counselor and one (1) other, adult not related to student.
f) Computer generated essay of approximately 500 words..
ARTHUR LA VIGNE SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION FORM
Note to applicant: Please complete the following information. If additional room is needed for a response to a question, use a separate sheet of paper.
PHONE NUMBER XXX-XXX-XXXX:
DATE OF BIRTH
ENTER SPONSORS NAME
RELATIONSHIP TO SPONSOR:
SPONSOR’S MEMBERSHIP CARD #:
YEARS A MEMBER (min one year)
POST OR UNIT NUMBER:
NAME OF HIGH SCHOOL GUIDANCE COUNSELOR:
OFFICE PHONE :
PLEASE STATE THE NAME AND ADDRESS OF TECHNICAL SCHOOL, COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY YOU DESIRE TO ATTEND, INCLUDING THE DEGREE PLAN OR CAREER FIELD FOR YOUR CHOICE OF VOCATION
I. PERSONAL DATA
1. Please describe your school and community activities
d. Special Honors
e. Community Activities .
2. Are you a member of the Sons of the American Legion or the Junior Auxiliary?
3. Were you or areyou still a member of the Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts.
4. Were you or are you still a member of the Junior ROTC or Civil Air Patrol?
5. Were you selected to attend New Jersey Boy's State or New Jersey's Girl State?
II. ESSAY QUESTION
Please attach a document of approximately 500 words on the following subject:
How do you define “integrity” and give an example on how you demonstrate that
trait in your daily life.
III LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
1. One (l) letter from the Principal or Guidance Counselor of the school from which the applicant is to graduate.
2. One (1) letter from an adult, not a relative, attesting to the applicant's character in regard to conduct, citizenship and leadership. Letters must state name, address and telephone number of person giving the recommendation, their occupation or organization they represent, and number of years they have known the applicant.
IV TRANSCRIPT AND CLASS RANKING
A certified transcript or photocopy of the high school grades of the applicant must accompany this
application. The class ranking must be verified by a school official.
V SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION
Submit the completed application to the Post Commander or Auxiliary Unit President from the Post or Unit
sponsoring applicant on or before the April County Meeting.